Moon-Baker Agency

130 E Main St
Ada, OK 74820

Get Directions
Moon-Baker Agency Blog

My Car is Stolen and the Garage is Left Damaged, Should I use Both Auto and Home Insurance Policies to Claim for the Losses in Sulphur, Oklahoma?

When a car is stolen from your garage, it may seem like a complicated situation. You may worry about whether to use your auto insurance to pay for the loss of the vehicle or if it is appropriate to use your homeowner’s policy. Although the details of any policy can vary, in most cases a combination of both policies is appropriate to handle all of the damages that are incurred.

Auto Policy for the Car

A lost or stolen vehicle is often covered under an auto insurance policy in Sulphur, Oklahoma if you have a comprehensive policy. If you do not have coverage for theft in your auto policy, then it may be possible to make a claim for your stolen vehicle with your homeowner’s insurance since it was taken from your garage.

Repairing the Garage

Regardless of whether your vehicle is covered under your auto policy, the repairs for your garage may be claimed on your homeowner’s insurance. Depending on the type of garage, the amount of funds available to repair the damages may vary. A detached garage usually has a set percentage of the total policy amount, such as 10 percent, while an attached garage is considered part of the house.

Make a claim with the homeowner’s policy to repair the garage and any other damages to the house that occurred during the theft.

When a car is stolen from your garage, it can seem like a complicated situation. Although the vehicle may be covered under your auto policy, the damages to your garage should be covered by your homeowner’s policy. To learn more about making a claim, contact us to talk to an independent agent.