Moon-Baker Agency

130 E Main St
Ada, OK 74820

Get Directions
Moon-Baker Agency Blog

Is flood insurance only for people who live in high-risk areas in Coalgate, Oklahoma?

If you live in a flood zone in Coalgate, Oklahoma, you will most likely need or want to buy flood insurance. If you have a mortgage, your lender will insist that you carry flood insurance. If you own your home outright, you will want to purchase flood insurance to protect you from the financial risk of a devastating loss due to a flood.

Flood insurance is issued through the National Flood Insurance Program and can be bought through your independent agent or an insurance company that is authorized to sell flood insurance. While your home policy will cover water damage from a broken pipe or an overflowing bathtub, it does not cover flooding from outside sources like a river that overflows its banks or tidal surge.

When you buy any type of insurance, you do so to lower your personal financial risk in the event of a loss. Even if you live in a low-risk area of Coalgate, Oklahoma, there is still some risk of flooding. FEMA draws up maps that show the different flood zones and those flood zones are ranked in terms of how likely that area is to flood.

If you live outside of a flood zone, you probably do not need flood insurance. However, if you are abundantly cautious and want the extra cover to protect against the remote possibility of a flood, you can buy coverage. The good thing is that your premium will be very low because the risk of having to pay out a claim is also very low.

If you are not sure whether or not you should buy flood insurance because you do not live in a high-risk area, why not call your independent agent and find out all of the pros and cons of buying coverage? An independent agent is there to help.

What Kind of Commercial Insurance Do I Need for Renting Retail Space in Coalgate, Oklahoma?

When renting any type of space, there are two factors to consider. First, you need to consider what type of insurance coverage the current property owner has. In nearly all cases, you will not be protected as the tenant in a commercial business property through the owner’s policies. That means that you need to have your own policy that provides ample protections for the risks you, in particular face. Luckily, it is often possible to find an affordable policy that meets all of your needs for your commercial business in Coalgate, Oklahoma.

Define the types of insurance you need. This will change from one business to the next, but often includes commercial property insurance. Though you do not have to protect the building itself, your business’s equipment, assets, inventory, and other items are not protected. By having proper property insurance, you can reduce risks to your bottom line should something happen to your business. This can be very important in a retail space where a lot of inventory is kept.

Aside from property insurance for your assets, you also need liability protection. In some cases, the business is held responsible for accidents, injuries, and illnesses occurring in their business. For example, if a customer falls because of your wet floor, this could be a liability issue that your business must handle. It is not one that the property owner will be responsible for.

Ultimately, it is best to work with an independent agent to help you to find the commercial insurance right for your specific needs. Every retail establishment is different, but there is rarely a time when you should go without proper protection and a BOP policy for overall coverage of your assets. Discuss your options with your agent.